Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Eggs Benedict

I always let other people's opinions of eggs benedict push on me.  Everyone I knew in the past said eggs benedict is gross.  So, I decided to try it for myself.  I am not making the real hollandaise sauce, as it wasn't very good when I made it.  I made a "mock" hollandaise.  

First, you need salt, pepper, mayo, sour cream, butter, mustard, lemon juice, english muffins, and eggs.


Bring a pot of water to a boil.  This is what you poach the eggs in.  You want the water to be a rolling boil, but not too hard.  It just takes practice to get it right.


In a separate saucepan, add mayonaise, mustard, sour cream, butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper.  Cook on low heat and stir often until combined, creamy, and hot.


While the hollandaise is cooking, put your english muffins in the toaster and toast them.  You need one half for each muffin.


This is what the finished hollandaise should look like.


When the water is boiling you are ready to poach your eggs.  Crack an egg in a cup.  A measuring cup works great.  Put the cup as close to the water as possible and gently drop the egg into the water.  The egg will land at the bottom of the pan and it will fall apart a little bit, but if the water is boiling just right, it should mostly stay together.  It took mine anywhere from 2-4 minutes to finish, but you just have to keep checking.  


Assemble the eggs benedict with the muffin on bottom, egg in the middle, and top with hollandaise.  Serve right away while warm!


1 comment:

  1. YUM! Maybe I'll try to cook this for you one day. However, according to Julie & Julia, poaching in water is hard. Have a great day! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete